Medical Technologist - SUBSTANTIAL OVERNIGHT DIFFERENTIAL OF 34%
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: November 16, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Accurately perform, evaluate appropriateness, and report tests
and analyses requested on patient specimens to provide diagnostic
or therapeutic information to the caregiver.
- Job Requirements
- Bachelors of Science Degree required, preferably in Medical
Laboratory Science (MLS), or Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS), or
Medical Technology (MT).
- Have previously qualified or could have qualified as a
technologist under CFR 493.1491 on or before February 28,1992.
- 1 year experience is preferred.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification as
a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), Medical Technologist (MT) or
Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) required within six months of
hire or Medical Laboratory Specialist Phase I (760 hours) plus
Phase II (1440 hours) from the United States Air Force prior to
2/28/1992) or will be demoted to a non-certified Technologist
- Knowledge of medications and treatments used in patient care
- Skilled in critical thinking for determining alternative
solutions or solving problems required.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction
with staff and customers required.
- Skilled in operating a computer, including a computer mouse and
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions required.
- Able to work in a diverse environment required.
- Able to work as a team required.
- Able to keep patient information confidential required.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Job Hazards
- Not Related: - Biological agents (primary air born and blood
born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Occasionally (34%-66%): - Mechanical moving
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Perform duties of a Technologist/Laboratory Scientist.
- Accurately perform, evaluate appropriateness and report
tests/analyses requested on patient specimens.
- Utilizes time efficiently to complete assignments and assist
- Quality control is completed and documented 100% of the
- Calibration is completed and documented 100% of the time.
- Routine maintenance is completed and documented 100% of the
- Achieves quality goals.
- Identify problems and initiate immediate follow-up as necessary
to ensure accurate, timely laboratory services by using critical
thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Accommodates patient and laboratory needs by professionally
responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules, and
- Document orientation, training, and education to ensure
employee competence, provide excellent services, and meet
accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written
- Organizational and department competencies are completed 100%
of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures and major procedure revisions are
read and understood.
- Assists in training new and existing staff including the review
and completion of orientation checklists and skill/training
- Assist in preparation for and participate in inspections,
proficiency testing, Quality Assurance activities, properly
maintain records, prepare and update section policies and
procedures to fulfill the requirements of accrediting agencies
(i.e. College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission on
Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) by following the
- Proficiency testing is completed as assigned and submitted by
- Assists in completion of CAP checklist responses in preparation
for on-site or self-inspection as assigned.
- Assists in review/revision of procedure manuals as
- Assists supervisor with problem resolution and follow up
reports for proficiency tests as requested.
- Assists with the completion of quality control and Quality
Assurance activities as assigned.
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Medical Technologist - SUBSTANTIAL OVERNIGHT DIFFERENTIAL OF 34%, Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!