Licensed Practical Nurse
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: November 21, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) assists physicians by reviewing
records, preparing patients/exam rooms, and handling prescription
- Job Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required.
- Previous Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)/medical experience
- Phlebotomy experience required (Floor only).
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire.
- Current valid Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) License, valid
compact multistate license to work in Nebraska or Iowa (work state)
or temporary permit while awaiting licensure required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures required.
- Knowledge of medicine including recognizing and diagnosed
diseases, deformities, and other illnesses.
- Skill to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks.
- Skill to proficiently type information into the computer to
capture or detail information quickly.
- Ability to provide caring patient care services when talking
with patients and their family members.
- Ability to critically listen to questions from patients and
information from providers to convey information effectively.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, and resolve problems before
they occur and avoid bigger problems in the future.
- Ability to problem solve during several daily activities which
includes the ability to be flexible.
- Ability to learn and proficiently navigate through computer
programs that contain patient information.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction
with providers, staff and patients required.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions/directions
- HIPAA understanding.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Standing (Floor Only)
- Walking (Floor Only)
- Sitting (Phone Only)
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rare (1%-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, C at
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Joint (Floor and Phone)
- Medical Home
- Documents all lab, procedures, and appointments on tracking
- Completes tracking forms and follows up on missed appointments
- Assists Health Coaches by working patient lists and scheduling
appointments as directed.
- At the direction of the provider provides patient and family
education to ensure adequate knowledge/awareness and recommends
appropriate community resources as needed.
- Educates/instructs patients according to providers direction
98% of the time.
- Performs telephone triage to determine patient needs by
recording and reporting patient condition to provider and advising
patient based on provider instructions.
- Receives and returns patient calls within 90 minutes based on
medical priority 95% of the time.
- Accurately records and reports patient's condition according to
department policy 98% of the time.
- Maintains work areas to ensure healthy environmental conditions
by cleaning and organizing equipment and rooms.
- Maintains clean and organized work area according to
department/provider protocol 99% of the time.
- Handles prescription renewals/inquiries to facilitate patient
care. Discusses questions with provider and relays information to
- Handles prescription refills according to department/provider
protocols 99% of the time.
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the patient to
ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment as outlined in
the Age Specific Criteria .
- Completes Age Specific Quiz annually.
- Prepares exam rooms and equipment to facilitate treatment and
examination of patients by setting up instruments/equipment and
- Prepares exam rooms and medical equipment according to provider
protocol 95% of the time.
- Prepares patient for provider exam by reviewing medical
records, weighing patient, checking vital signs, performing
medication reconciliation and obtaining information relevant to
- Prepares patient for exam by following provider protocol and
company policies 95% of the time.
- Assists providers to facilitate patient treatment by retrieving
tests and medical records and obtaining lab work as directed.
- Obtains provider requested tests, records, and lab work 95% of
- Dispense medications at the direction of a provider to
patients. Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse instruct
patients and family members regarding education and treatment to
ensure patients completely understand how to take the medication
- Assists and/or performs phlebotomy with proper labeling and
handling of specimens, accurately completes requisitions, and
collects specimens according to standard procedures/protocols and
performing and documenting quality control activities.
- Performs above procedure according to clinic policy and
procedures 95% of the time.
- Ensures accuracy of order entry and completes appropriate
documentation without error at least 98% of the time.
- Answering Phone Calls
- Answers calls according to protocol at least 98% of the
- Returning Phone Messages
- Returns phone messages according to protocol at least 98% of
- Providing Test Results
- Provides test results according to protocol at least 98% of the
- Pharmacy Refills
- Accurately completes pharmacy request 100% of the time.
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Completes skills checkoff list annually.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Behavior and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Licensed Practical Nurse, Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!