LPN - Ortho Neuro - Per Diem-3
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge. We offer competitive pay, excellent
benefits and a great work environment where all employees are
valued! Most importantly, our employees are part of a team that
makes a real difference in the communities we live and work in.
Accountable for the delivery of quality care to patients and
families according to the individualized needs of the patient.
Promotes positive relations when interacting with patients,
visitors, families physicians, customers and co-workers.
Promotes positive relations when interacting with patients,
visitors, families, physicians, customers and co-workers.
- Greet, smiles and makes eye contact.
- Introduces self by name.
- Volunteers to help co-workers and other employees.
- Addresses patients and others by surname.
- Responds quickly to patients and/or other peoples' needs.
- Knows and demonstrates 6 step customer complaint management
process. Assist the Registered Nurse (RN) by obtaining initial
assessment of patient and on-going patient observation.
- Completes initial assessment and documentation within standards
set by nursing service.
- Informs team leader/director of change in patient's status
- Utilizes policies and procedures and Standards of Care to
- Identifies and reports variances to Unit Manager/Charge Nurse
or assigned RN. Reports changes in patient's condition.
- Observes IV function and reports concerns to nurse.
- Observes intravenous infusion, patient's color, activity, skin
condition, responsiveness, respirations, and reports concerns to
- Reports all patient/family concerns to RN or Charge RN.
Performs nursing care as assigned by Charge Nurse, utilizing
policies and procedures, Standards of Care and Care Plan.
- Demonstrates skill in conceptual, technical, and procedural
nursing practice to include unit specific policies and procedures
outlines from orientation checklist.
- Performs patient care and treatments in a timely manner.
- Documents care and patient responses following policies and
procedures for documentation.
- Safely and accurately administers medication without
- Reports variances to team leader/director immediately.
- Performs vital signs as instructed by nurse. Assists nurse in
providing pre-op and post-op cares according to policy, include
monitoring vital signs.
- Monitor vital signs per policy/procedure or as directed by
- Reports abnormal findings immediately to nurse.
- Provides safe patient environment. Records vital signs timely
in appropriate location.
- Provides pre-op care according to policy i.e. gown,
cleanliness, voiding, jewelry.
- Provides port-op care according to policy i.e. room readiness,
vitals, positioning patient, etc.
- Provides basic patient care including care of bodily functions
appropriate to patient's age specific needs. Performs bathing, nail
care, catheter care, shaving and shampooing.
- All male patients to be shaved daily, if required.
- Oral care provided during a.m., p.m. period and PRN.
- Catheter care provided according to hospital policy.
- Provide skin care and turning, according to nursing order.
- Utilizes proper infection control principles and follows policy
guidelines. Reports all patient comfort needs promptly.
- Participates with the patient's pain management care plan under
the direction of the RN.
- Assists with dismissal and transfer of patient as necessary in
gathering belongings (i.e. clothing, educational materials,
discharge instructions) and providing transportation to discharge
area. Conducts patient teaching according to needs identified by
discharge planning and care plan.
- Conducts patient education utilizing available resources and
documentation on patient education form.
- Documents appropriate information on discharge forms. Provides
safety measures to protect staff and patients.
- Utilizes patient restraints and documentation according to
- Utilizes bed rails according to policy.
- Reports safety hazards to director/charge nurse
- Completes variance report within eight (8) hours of occurrence
- Removes unsafe or unnecessary equipment.
- Keeps room in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Maintains cleanliness of over-bed table, bedside cabinet and
general neat and tidy appearance of room.
- Empties trash prn.
- Monitors safety of patient.
- Reports unusual conditions of patient or environment.
- Utilizes proper lifting and transferring techniques.
- Follows JE emergency plans appropriately (code Blue, fire,
tornado, Dr. Major, etc.).
- Participates in unit specific cleaning, i.e., CSR, DSR,
refrigerator and general appearance of unit hallways. Communicates
verbally and in writing with patients, visitors, employees and
- Demonstrates courteous, helpful and professional behavior.
- Provides team leader/director with complete and accurate report
on patient's condition.
- Actively participates in unit meeting.
- Utilizes appropriate communication channels in attempting
change. Distributes and collects food trays.
- Positions patient properly, prior to delivery of meal. Presents
meal, cuts meat (if appropriate for patient), opens containers and
removes food wraps.
- Feed patients requiring assistance.
- Provides spoken menu service.
- Calculates patient appetite, intake and caloric count.
- Maintains patient fluid restrictions as ordered. Safely
- Provides dressing changes or reinforcement, blood glucose
monitoring, sitz baths, enemas, application of heat and cold, as
ordered without incident.
- Applies restraints according to policy/protocols and checks
patient according to policy.
- Utilizes fall prevention techniques.
- Collects specimens according to policy.
- Accurately weighs patients.
- Records I & O accurately.
- Monitors and reports changes in patient dressings, secretions
or fluid discharge. Requires knowledge in the care and handling of
- Neonate and Infant - Birth to 1 yr.
- Childhood and Adolescence - 1 yr. To 18 yrs.
- Adult - 18 yrs. To 65 yrs.
- Geriatric - 65 yrs. and above
- All Age Groups
- Demonstrates ability in the care and handling of patients in
all age groups including, but not limited to, consideration of the
special needs and behavior of each respective group.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required.
- Currently enrolled in accredited RN program and ready to
graduate within 12 months. Experience
- Current valid Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) License, valid
compact multistate license to work in Iowa or temporary permit
while awaiting licensure required.
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire. Skills/Knowledge/Abilities
- Knowledge of nursing practices and principles, medications and
effects, charting and notes.
- Knowledge of the operation and use of equipment and manual
- Ability to apply nursing practices and principles.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with staff,
patients, visitors, physicians and other departments.
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing nursing practices.
- Ability to apply positive patient relations when dealing with
patients, staff, physicians or the public. Physical
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force. Physical
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Walking Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rate (1%-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors . click apply for full job details
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , LPN - Ortho Neuro - Per Diem-3, Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...