Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?At Nebraska
Methodist Health System, we focus on providing exceptional care to
the communities we serve and people we employ. We call it The
Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will continue to set us
apart. It's helping families grow by making each delivery special,
conveying a difficult diagnosis with a compassionate touch, going
above and beyond for a patient's needs, or giving a high five when
a patient beats a disease or conquers a personal health challenge.
We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a great work
environment where all employees are valued! Most importantly, our
employees are part of a team that makes a real difference in the
communities we live and work in.Job Summary:Collect and preserve
blood samples and certain other body fluids for
analysis.Responsibilities:Essential Job FunctionsPerforms duties of
a Phlebotomist to assist in the daily workload by performing
- Assists in daily workload.
- Compliant per PPE guidelines.
- Performs basic dermal and venipuncture collection.
- Performs specimen processing.
- Lab Phlebotomy: Performs arterial blood gas collection or bone
- Maintains compliance with established processes: turn-around
time expectations, collecting and handling specimens, proper
documentation of sample collection.
- Accommodates patient and laboratory needs by professionally
responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules and
staffing.Document orientation, training, and education to ensure
employee competence, provide excellent services, and meet
accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written
- Organizational and department competencies are completed 100%
of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures and procedure revisions are read
- Infusion Center: Assists in training new and existing staff,
including the review and completion of orientation checklists and
skills training checklists.Communicates efficiently by answering
telephones, taking messages, and forwarding information or calls to
- Identifies problems and initiates immediate follow-up as
necessary with the Service Leader or designee to ensure accurate,
timely laboratory services by using critical thinking skills and
- Appropriate communication skill as directly observed by the
Service Leader or designee.
- Phone calls are acted upon promptly and handled in a
professional manner per the customer service protocol as directly
observed.Participates in Continuing Education.
- Completes required annual Continuing Education
hours.Schedule:24 hours a week including every third weekend , 2
holidays and on call hoursJob Description:Job RequirementsEducation
- High school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) or
- Participates in mandatory in-services and continuing education
programs as mandated by policies and procedures, accrediting
agencies and as directed by Service Leader or Service
- 6 months of phlebotomy experience that qualifies for American
Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification preferred.
- Completion of a structured, American Society for Clinical
Pathology (ASCP) approved phlebotomy training course or equivalent
preferred such as Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Registered Nurse
(RN), or MA AND experience in the following areas.
- Routine venipuncture experience preferred.
- Routine dermal puncture experience
- Requires strong attention to detail.Physical RequirementsWeight
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.Physical
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- WalkingJob Hazards
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Rare (1-33%):
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job
hazards About Methodist: Nebraska Methodist Health System is made
up of four hospitals in Nebraska and southwest Iowa, more than 30
clinic locations, a nursing and allied health college, and a
medical supply distributorship and central laundry facility. From
the day Methodist Hospital was chartered in 1891, service to our
communities has been a top priority. Financial assistance, health
education, outreach to our diverse communities and populations, and
other community benefit activities have always been central to our
mission.Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
any other classification protected by Federal, state or local
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Phlebotomist I, Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...