Nursing Assistant - Behavioral Health - EVES
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge. We offer competitive pay, excellent
benefits and a great work environment where all employees are
valued! Most importantly, our employees are part of a team that
makes a real difference in the communities we live and work in.
Supports patient care delivery by providing clerical services and
helps patients by supporting personal hygiene and daily living
needs; providing comfort, transportation, and vital sign
Ask your recruiter/hiring manager about the following incentives
that may be available for this position:
- Sign-on bonus
- Tuition reimbursement
- Shift differentials & other financial incentives
- Tuition assistance
- Academic sponsorship with Methodist College
Essential Job Functions
Promotes positive impression and welcoming environment of the unit
through customer service.
- Greets and gives directions to patients, family members,
visitors, physicians, staff, and other customers.
- Maintains safe, clean and neat work environment.
- Has no food at reception area: all drinks must be covered.
- Promotes quiet environment at the reception desk and in the
- Demonstrates good communication style and interpersonal
communication skills with patients/families. Provides appropriate
care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure
understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the
Population Specific Criteria.
- Gives individualized customer service/patient care.
- Completes age specific competency assessment.
- Screens visitors according to protocols. Exhibits excellent
interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, physicians, and
guests to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Communicates feedback from patients and visitors regarding
their hospital experience to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a
timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food
service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process. Consistently
recognizes and utilizes measures to provide for safe, efficient,
patient care and work environment.
- Answers Call Lights in a timely manner and response to the
patient request and/or relays request to appropriate resource when
- Performs other duties as delegated/under the direction of the
- Assures coverage of all duties when self or other staff are off
the nursing unit.
- Assists other team members when own work is complete.
- Appropriately reports incidents.
- Utilizes Standard Precautions and Transmission-based
Precautions infection control techniques correctly and
- Adheres to policies and procedures. Directly responsible to the
staff nurse and assists in the care of the patient by performing
delegated activities utilizing the reciprocal process of the 4
Rights of Delegation.
- Right task (within the scope of practice, according to the job
description, and based on the desired outcome, task routine,
non-complex, low risk and predictable outcome).
- Right person (assess competency by certification/licensure, job
description, skills checklist, demonstrated skill).
- Right communication (clear, concise, correct, complete).
- Right feedback: The Reciprocal Process (timely, specific,
checkpoints). Handles all general communication duties for the
- Answers telephones promptly, courteously and with a smile;
identifies self and unit.
- Maintains and operates call system.
- Faxes information as required/requested.
- Makes unit announcements in a professional manner.
- Contacts caregiver promptly when patients have arrived.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of patients and staff
information. Assists with maintenance of electronic medical
- Scans medical documents in a timely and accurate manner.
- Notifies appropriate consultant, adds to physician patient
list, and documents in medical record. Assists in maintaining
- Establishes the initial patient chart upon admission.
- Maintains chart documents according to protocol.
- Processes charts upon dismissal, breaks down chart so available
for HIM timely and accurately.
- Helps prepare records as appropriate for patient transfers.
Performs other UNIT SPECIFIC duties as assigned by RN, Core, or
- Participates in mandatory inservices and continuing education
programs as required by policies and procedures/external agencies
and/or as directed by supervisor.
- Assists in keeping the environment clean and tidy.
- Assists with stocking as directed.
- Maintains, organizes, and stocks office supplies.
- Maintains, stocks, and organizes nutrition center supplies.
Completes clinical activities identified in the patient's plan of
care to meet patients' comfort/activity/sleep needs and other
clinical patient needs as delegated by professional staff.
- Reports patient comfort needs to nurse in a timely manner.
- Assures that skin is clean and dry.
- Reports any noticed skin changes.
- Provides personal care and assists with ADL (activities of
- Provides assistance with repositioning, turning and chair
- Assists as necessary with ambulation.
- Completes vital signs per patient's plan of care.
- Weighs patients per patient's plan of care.
- Reinforce patient education regarding; e.g., pulmonary
- Provides transportation assistance.
- Reports any variation from patient's plan of care to
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspaper, mail. Maintains
patient nutritional status by completing all intake/output
activities in a timely and accurate manner to promote customer
- Assists patients with menu selection within the designated
timeframes and ensures menu balance.
- Serves meal according to established guidelines.
- Feeds patients as necessary.
- Records liquid and solid intake.
- Records intake accurately for calculation of calorie
- Records output.
- Monitors Nourishment Center supplies and maintains a sanitary
environment. Documents all data collected, in Cerner and/or on
worksheets, accurately, completely, and in a timely manner to
provide an accurate record of patient activities and response to
- Documentation is completed in an ongoing basis prior to end of
- Documentation reflects patient's responses to activities
according to patient's plan of care.
- Documentation reflects care delivered. Provides housekeeping
activities to contribute to a safe, efficient, effective and
sanitary patient care environment.
- Completes daily room cleaning according to established
procedures for high dusting, vacuuming, mopping hard surface
floors, disinfecting vertical surfaces, and spot cleaning vertical
- Keep rooms neat and tidy, free of clutter.
- Removes trash and soiled linen from room each shift and as
- Maintains patient environment, such as spills and room
temperature, or actively utilizes Integrated Services team to do so
- Distributes linens to servidors per par levels.
- Straightens and restocks patient care areas per par
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspapers, mail, watering
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Student nurse must have completed first clinical rotation -
- Requires successful completion of the 75-hour state approved
course for the Nurse Assistant.
- For Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hospital Surgery Main: Surgery
Technician diploma may be substituted for the Nursing Assistant
- Requires membership in good standing on Nurse Aide registry of
the state where position is located if hired after August 31,
- Previous care giver experience preferred.
- Previous cleaning, food service and/or patient related
experience preferred, but not required.
- One to three months on the job experience to learn hospital
procedures and work routines preferred.
- Orientation and on the job experience will be provided to learn
hospital procedures and work routines.License/Certifications
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire.Skills/Knowledge/Abilities
- Requires the ability to understand and carry out instructions,
follow schedules, communicate information, read simple and clear
instructions and complete reports.
- Collects, records . click apply for full job details
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Nursing Assistant - Behavioral Health - EVES, Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...