Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Council Bluffs Clinic
Company: Children's Hospital (Omaha)
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: November 1, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY: Responsible for providing comprehensive health care based on scope of practice for an advanced practice registered nurse within the specialty of pediatrics and in collaboration with the physician(s) within the office and in accordance with Children's Physicians policies and procedures.
% of Time 98%
- In collaboration with physician(s), assesses patient, synthesizes and analyzes data, orders diagnostic tests and therapeutic treatments, and evaluates clinical outcomes.
- Completes an accurate assessment (history and physical examination) of the pediatric patient.
- Syntheses and analyses data obtained through assessment to develop a comprehensive plan of care that is individualized and reflects patient care needs and includes interventions and treatments to attain expected outcomes.
- Implements plan by writing appropriate medical orders.
- Uses jointly approved protocols appropriately, if required.
- Evaluates and revises plan as indicated by changes in patient condition or needs.
- Communicates medical plan to caregivers, staff members and physicians.
- Demonstrates proper use of laboratory and x-ray to assist in diagnosis and interprets results correctly.
- Demonstrates understanding of caregiver dynamics involved in the ill pediatric patient.
- Utilizes the nursing process to meet the development and psychosocial needs of the pediatric patient/caregiver.
- Assesses the educational needs of patients/caregivers and develops/implements the educational plan in collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
- Prescribes controlled substances related to the patient's health conditions within the scope of practice of the advanced practice registered nurse and according to state statutes.
- Responds appropriately in crisis situations or life-threatening emergencies.
- Uses sound medical/clinical judgment during care for the pediatric patient.
- Consults/collaborates with physicians as indicated.
- Uses jointly approved protocols to guide decision making, if required.
- Stays within Scope of Practice.
- Documents assessments, plan of care, interventions and patient response to treatment.
- Assumes leadership role to establish and monitor standards of practice to improve patient care including recommending ways to improve clinical practice, participation in related educational activities, utilizes and/or participates in research, participation in professional organizations and performance improvement teams, and incorporation of new clinical information into practice.
- Serves as a role model for staff by facilitating, supporting, mentoring, taking initiative, and practicing proactive problem solving.
- Serves as a reliable and visible resource for staff.
- Conducts or utilizes research and new clinical information to recommend ways to improve clinical practice.
- Participates in educational activities and networking related to practice.
- Seeks experiences and learning opportunities related to practice.
- Participates in professional organizations.
- Serves on Performance Improvement teams as needed.
- Assures that clinical practice meets national standards of pediatric healthcare.
- Coordinates project or program development and effective implementation
- Prescribes therapeutic measures and medications according to the State of Nebraska APRN/NP Statutes. Performs select invasive
procedures, as approved in his/her individualized Scope of Service, according to Children's Hospital policy.
- Dispenses, incident to practice only, sample medications, which are provided by the manufacturer and are provided at no charge to the patient.
- Prescribes therapeutic measures and medications, except controlled substances listed as Schedule II, related to health conditions within scope of practice.
- Prescribes controlled substances listed as Schedule II, used as pain control for a maximum seventy-two hour supply, if subsequent renewal is required, such prescription is done by the physician.
- Directs other team members in the delivery of patient care as determined by the needs of the patient.
Regular attendance at work is an essential function of the job. Perform physical requirements as described in the Physical Requirements section SECONDARY FUNCTIONS/COMPETENCIES 2%
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in nursing and completed an approved advanced practice registered nurse program in the specialty of pediatrics required.
- Minimum of two years pediatric nursing experience required, including minimum 1 year experience as a nurse practitioner in a pediatric environment preferred.
- Previous pediatric nurse practitioner experience in a physician office/clinic setting preferred.
- Current and valid license as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse - Nurse Practitioner (APRN-NP) in the state of IA/compact state required.
- Current and Valid certificate in Basic Life Support required.
- Certification in the specialty of pediatrics through American Nurses Credentialing Center (AANC) or the National Credentialing Board for Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NCPNP-N ) or NP-C Family Nurse Practitioner required.
91945 Ind.123 Glassdoor
Keywords: Children's Hospital (Omaha), Council Bluffs , Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Council Bluffs Clinic , Healthcare , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!