Surgical Tech II 3 12-HR shifts
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge. We offer competitive pay, excellent
benefits and a great work environment where all employees are
valued! Most importantly, our employees are part of a team that
makes a real difference in the communities we live and work in.
Allied health professional working as a part of the team delivering
surgical care by assisting physicians and maintaining a sterile
field during surgical procedure through consistent application of
Essential Job Functions
1. Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure
and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field
according to policy.
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the
perioperative team to prepare operative procedure. 2. Functions as
scrub person during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring,
and maintaining a sterile field
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Performs scrub duties in an accurate, concise and timely
- Wears appropriate personal protective apparel (PPA) and follows
standard and policy for attire in the operating room.
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure
during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent
procedure. 3. Applies base knowledge and principles during
operative procedure (Intraoperative Surgical).
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology,
microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as
needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
4. Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and
case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off
situations and disposition of specimen. 5. Demonstrates
collegiality and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and participation in performance
- Reports potential performance improvement problems, to
coordinators, core nurse and service leader, assists in problem
- Maintains compliance with department call requirements, adjusts
hours to meet patient services.
- Eligible to seat preceptor training and serve as a mentor.
- Collaborates with specialty coordinator and Staff Development
Nurse on completion of orientation processes including orientation
map, core competencies and assignments.
- Documents ongoing process of orienting staff and assists in
- Participates in orientation of team members to new equipment
- Achieves or maintains certification in profession, Certified
Surgical Technologist. 6. Provides appropriate care specific to the
age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort
level of treatment as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give
individualized customer service/patient care according to
customer/patient needs. 7. Precepting.
- Conducts need assessments.
- Conducts one on one and group training.
- Is knowledgeable of equipment used in surgical procedures,
their, reference manuals, and resources for consultation.
- Performs clinical preceptor role for specialty service and
follows core competency outline.
- Collaborates with appropriate Core Coordinator, and/or Resource
Coordinator regarding assignments of students and orientees and
documents progress or concerns.
- Documents on core competencies, records orientees/students'
progress, and suggests improvements and additional learning
- Collaborates with L&D and HROB Core Coordinator on
completion of core competencies for specialty service. Provides
care and is able to provide intervention for all patient
3- 12 hour shifts, M-F, rotating call, weeknights, weekends, and
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program
- For MJE Surgery Main: Completion of a Military Surgical
Technology program may be substituted for an accredited Surgical
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education
- MH, WH & MPC: 2 or more years of current operating room
experience or a Certified Surgical Tech that meets the level one
- MJE Surgery Main: One or more years of current operating room
experience or current Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) that
meets Surgical Tech level I criteria required.
- MFH Surgery Main: 2 or more years of current operating room
experience or 1 year operating room experience with current
Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire.
- BLS required at time of hire for this position.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Certification
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Skilled in promoting positive relations when interacting with
patients or other customers.
- Requires working with multiple activities and dividing time and
attention to a variety of demands and working irregular hours.
- Ability to work in a team environment and solve problems in a
- Oral and written communication with staff, patients, visitors,
physicians and other departments. Physical Requirements
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.Physical
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Seeing/visualJob Hazards
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rare (1-33%):
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment) About
Nebraska Methodist Health System is made up of four hospitals in
Nebraska and southwest Iowa, more than 30 clinic locations, a
nursing and allied health college, and a medical supply
distributorship and central laundry facility. From the day
Methodist Hospital was chartered in 1891, service to our
communities has been a top priority. Financial assistance, health
education, outreach to our diverse communities and populations, and
other community benefit activities have always been central to our
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other
classification protected by Federal, state or local law.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Surgical Tech II 3 12-HR shifts, Human Resources , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...