Community Support Worker
Company: Heartland Family Service
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: January 11, 2021
At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a
culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity
and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery
and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various
experiences and uniqueness to the workplace. Trauma Informed Care
is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that
recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the
role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care
also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on
our workforce and seeks to build collaborative and supportive
working environments and relationships. If you believe in our
mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a
fast pace, collaborative and team-oriented environment, then
Heartland Family Service is the agency for you. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION
OF WORK This position will work in the Council Bluffs, Iowa,
Community Support program, based out of the Peer Center. The
Community Support program provides case management and supportive
services to adults with a severe and persistent mental illness in
the Council Bluffs community. Community Support services address
mental health symptoms and functional disabilities that can create
barriers for community integration and stability. The primary
function of the Community Support Worker is to create relationships
with the population that provide a balance between support of the
mental illness and allow for maximum individual independence.
Intensive case management responsibilities begin at this level.
Educational requirements are very specific. Decision making,
problem solving, and highly developed interpersonal skills are
critical. This position requires a high level of social work
skills, practice and knowledge. Work Schedule: Monday through
Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (flexible schedule possible)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Builds rapport with clients in order to provide a supportive,
recovery focused relationship.
- Assists the clients in identification of strengths, needs and
goals. Develops an individualized case plan in cooperation with the
client. Monitor and evaluate program participant progress.
- Monitoring of mental health symptoms, functioning, and reality
- Makes referrals to internal and external programs/services to
meet identified client needs.
- Ensures effective communication and coordination with service
providers and assists client in advocating with service providers
- Assists client with scheduling and attending appointments with
service providers, medical providers, and mental health providers.
Ensures clients obtain prescribed medications.
- Provides Crisis Intervention and planning and problem-solving
assistance to clients to assist in accessing services.
- Responsible for verifying and documenting the eligibility of
applicants and maintaining comprehensive, accurate service records
for all clients.
- Travel is required for both traveling to community-based
locations and providing some transportation, included use of
- Ensure required information is collected, entered into
prescribed formats, and reported in a timely manner - as outlined
by funding and internal reporting guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current community and HFS programs
and resources to meet client needs.
- Work is completed in homes, homeless shelters, office space,
community spaces, and other non-traditional settings. Ensure safety
and security measures for community-based services are
- Is able to work both independently, with little supervision,
and as a part of a team.
- Utilizes Trauma Informed Care, Person Centered and culturally
competent principles in providing services to all clients.
- Able to establish regularity and dependability in scheduling
all appointments and accuracy in reports and statistics.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the
clientele, volunteers, and visitors of the Agency.
- Abides by all specific program and Agency procedures, policies,
- Cooperates and collaborates with program area staff,
volunteers, and other Agency staff.
- Is dependable and punctual regarding scheduling and
- Able to evaluate program services and make
- Develops personal and program related skills through
participation in internal and external training opportunities
including printed material and audio and/or visual media.
- Is able to develop positive working relationships with clients,
referral sources, service agencies, landlords, and others
encountered in the course of work.
- Creates, maintains, and shares as appropriate a dynamic
- Strives to make connections between the agency and the larger
community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency's
ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- Essential functions of this job is to be performed on company
physical work site.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned. *DENOTES
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2 years' experience
- Valid Driver's License and acceptable driving record. PREFERRED
- Experience working with severe and persistent mental
- Experience working with area homeless service providers
- Proficiency with MS Word & Excel COMPETENCIES Communication -
Clearly conveying and receiving messages to meet the needs of all,
expressing oneself effectively, understanding underlying issues and
adapting communication for the situation. Teamwork - Working
cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results by
actively participating in the team and involving other team
members. Problem Solving & Judgment - Ability to assess options and
implications in order to identify a solution by breaking down
problems, recognizing basic and multiple relationships and can
develop complex plans and/or analyses. Adaptability - Personal
willingness and ability to work in and adapt to change, valuing the
need for adaptability, demonstrating adaptability through adapting
approach and strategy. Client Focus - Understanding and meeting or
exceeding client needs through responsive client service and
contributing to positive outcomes for the client, meeting long term
client needs. Innovation - Using original and creative thinking to
make improvements and/or develop and initiate new approaches for
own job/area as well as the organization and does things new to the
organization. Relationship Building - Developing and maintaining
win/win relationships and partnerships through establishing formal
working relationships. Service Facilitation - Creates networks to
ensure required services are delivered effectively, providing
information as required. Organizational Awareness & Commitment -
Understands the structure and culture of the organization and
supports the organization's values, principles and goals;
demonstrating an understanding of the organization beyond own
workgroup and can anticipate and meet organizational needs.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS PHYSICAL DEMANDS (The
physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions). While performing the duties of this job, the employee
is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and
arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or
hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. WORK
ENVIRONMENT (Work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions). While performing
the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather
conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually
Keywords: Heartland Family Service, Council Bluffs , Community Support Worker, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!