Classroom Associate I - Therapeutic School
Company: Heartland Family Service
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: January 12, 2021
At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a
culture is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and
inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and
innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various
experiences and uniqueness to the workplace. Trauma Informed Care
is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that
recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the
role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care
also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on
our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive
working environments and relationships. If you believe in our
mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a
fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then
Heartland Family Service is the agency for you. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION
OF WORK Performs skilled programmatic duties of routine nature. A
variety of activities may be required but decision making is at a
minimum. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities include the direct supervision of students;
program development and implementation.
- *Participates in the multidisciplinary team process in
assessing, planning and evaluating student needs/progress.
- *Assists in the orientation and discharge process including
- *Establishes a positive working relationship with and knowledge
of community resources, area schools and personnel, volunteers,
police and HHS (PS/OJS) and assists in the coordination of these
- *Provides guidance, support and crisis intervention to youth
and families when indicated and appropriate.
- *Assists youth in formulating and achieving goals.
- *Facilitates educational groups, i.e., life skills, problem
- *Collects data on student progress as assigned.
- *Is dependable and punctual regarding scheduling and
- Maintains confidentiality of youth and families.
- Provides transportation for program clients.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the
clientele, volunteers, and visitors of the Agency.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program area staff,
volunteers, and other Agency staff.
- *Maintains regular, prompt attendance at the office on a
consistent and reliable basis.
- Abides by all specific program and Agency procedures, policies,
- Develops personal and program related skills through
participation in internal and external training opportunities
including printed material and audio and/or visual media.
- Demonstrates knowledge about the legal and civil rights
relevant to the provision of the service, the socio-cultural
characteristics of the service population, and the special service
needs of youth and their family members.
- *Creates, maintains and shares as appropriate a dynamic
- *Strives to make connections between the agency and the larger
community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency's
ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- *Essential functions of this job is to be performed on company
physical work site.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned. * DENOTES
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma required and two years experience in Child
Welfare Services, Residential/Day Treatment
- Bachelor's Degree in social work or related field
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Valid driver's license/ acceptable driving record COMPETENCIES
Organization- The confidence of students should stem from the
structure of an orderly atmosphere provided by the teacher. In
addition to classroom organization, special education teachers
should have organized record-keeping skills. Intuitive. Some
children may find difficulty in properly expressing what they are
feeling, due to their communication skill level. They may act out
or withdraw because they are feeling confused, frustrated, or even
overwhelmed. A special education teacher needs to have intuitive
skills to sense underlying issues behind a child's behavior, along
with helping them as situations occur. Stress Tolerance-Performing
well when faced with pressure due to time frame, workload,
adversity, disappointment, or opposition. Maintaining a calm
atmosphere in the classroom. Adaptability. A teacher has to be able
to maintain order, keep to a schedule, and be flexible as all of
these situations may arise. Modeling adaptability is important
because children with special needs often need to learn how to
adapt to their surroundings based on their disability.
Professionalism- having clear boundaries with employees and clients
and displaying professional behavior. AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY
SPECIFICATIONS PHYSICAL DEMANDS (The physical demands described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions). While performing
the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to
stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects,
tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs;
balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or
smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT (Work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions). While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in
the work environment is usually moderate.
Keywords: Heartland Family Service, Council Bluffs , Classroom Associate I - Therapeutic School, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!