Registration Specialist I
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: January 15, 2021
- Purpose of Job
- Registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and timely
manner. Creates accurate patient records during the registration
process through verification of patient demographics, financial,
and visit information. Electronically verifies payer
source/eligibility, patient financial responsibility, and performs
point of service collections, as appropriate. Makes referrals to
financial counselor, as appropriate. Ensures a high level of
customer service according to established criteria in the Emergency
department in the organization.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma, General Educational Development (G.E.D.),
or equivalent required.
- Previous health care registration, customer service, insurance
or billing experience required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus
locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- Requires the knowledge of phone etiquette, and some medical
- Strong computer skills required.
- Ability to open and navigate Outlook, attachments in Word and
Excel, and utilize a scanner and copier.
- Requires the skills in basic mathematics to support collections
of payments: including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and
- Requires the ability to work independently, and to collect data
from patients that is required for entry into the system.
- Requires the ability to multitask, with strong attention to
details of registration process.
- Requires the ability to relate to patients in a kind,
courteous, and helpful manner.
- Requires the ability to relate to fellow workers, in all
departments of hospital, and deal with people in a crisis
- Ability to transport/escort patients, and guests/family members
to appropriate locations via stairs, elevators, or ramps.
- Ability to communicate with others through a glass
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Accurately registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and
- Registers patients in the electronic registration system to MJE
in a courteous and timely manner.
- Reviews and explains all registration forms prior to obtaining
signatures from the patient or patient representative.
- Performs bedside visits, as needed to complete the registration
process, and point of service collections.
- Scans patient identification documents into the registration
- Effectively communicates with anxious and agitated people in a
- Verifies and enters insurance/payer information.
- Obtains complete and accurate payer information and scans
identification and payer documents and enters the information into
the electronic registration system.
- Verifies eligibility of coverage according to department
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer questionnaire and other
payer specific documents (including ABN) as required.
- Uses open ended interviewing techniques to obtain accurate
insurance information from the patient.
- Advises patients of their copayment requirement in a respectful
and courteous manner.
- Documents and secures all payments according to policy.
- Accurately collects and posts payments according to policy as
measured by observation, feedback, and monthly audits.
- Accurately performs all reconciliation procedures pertaining to
the collection of copayments.
- Safeguards cash and receipts by following established
- Notifies supervisor of any discrepancies in a timely
- Refers patients to Patient Financial Counselors, as
appropriate, and documents referrals.
- Documents all attempts for collections, and reason collection
- Consistently adheres to Safety and Infection Control
guidelines, to assure a safe work environment, according to
- Immediately reports any unsafe conditions or accidents.
- Exercises discretion in identifying situations which may be
inappropriate for interaction with patients.
- Consults clinical staff as needed.
- Completes tasks and work responsibilities associated with a
shift, to maintain a productive department, as outlined in training
- Provides all necessary written or verbal communications
regarding tasks, incomplete work, problems, and issues to the
supervisor in a timely manner.
- Displays adaptability to assure department staffing needs are
- Works additional shifts and accepts additional tasks, projects,
and assignments dictated by volume, absences, or administrative
- Respectful toward peers and management time by returning
- Maintains teamwork spirit, positive mentoring.
- Willingly assists with training and/or cross training of new
- Positively and actively assists with the implementation of new
procedures, schedules, and job tasks necessary to ensure success
and advocation of same.
- Contributes to department training and orientation.
- Assists co-workers as needed.
- Escalates ideas instead of complaints.
- Performs periodic, situational, and other duties as required.
- Operates and assists in the maintenance of all office
equipment, to assure efficient performance, as outlined in the
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Registration Specialist I, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!