Speech Language Path Options I
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: August 3, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- To evaluate and treat patients who have difficulty with speech
- Job Requirements
- Master's degree from an accredited university program in Speech
Language Pathology required.
- One year of clinical experience preferred.
- New graduate completing Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY)
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
strongly preferred at time of hire, required within 3 months of
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (Clinical Fellowship Year
(CFY) can be completed during the first year of employment).
- Speech Language Pathology (SLP) license required.
- Requires knowledge as demonstrated by successful completion of
an accredited program.
- Requires skills in communication both oral and written, time
management and organization, and personnel management.
- Requires the ability to work independently, adapt to a changing
environment, organize and work with a variable patient load.
- Requires the ability to conduct patient teaching and in-service
- Practices within standards of practice as outlined by
professional organization and licensing body.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Evaluate a wide variety of patient types and identify physical
dysfunction and functional capabilities to facilitate appropriate
treatment of patients.
- Performs patient evaluation on initial visit and follows
guideline recommendations to establish treatment plan from
- Review medical records to assist in the evaluation process and
contacts attending physician to gather information as needed.
- For each diagnosis, chooses appropriate tests and measures and
utilizes appropriate outcome tool.
- Functional and appropriate goals are set with realistic time
frames. Patient and families are included in goal planning.
- Ongoing re-evaluation is evidenced in documentation over the
course of a week or as indicated for patient condition /
- Assess needs for additional interdisciplinary services and
refers patients for these services.
- Establish and implement patient focused treatment program with
regular follow-up to achieve maximum functional improvement with
- Treatment plan is based on objective evaluations and achievable
short and long term goals with time frames and direction toward
- Treatment plans are appropriate for patient diagnosis and
constantly re-evaluated for effectiveness.
- Ongoing re-assessment is evident in documentation and is
addressed by modifying the plan of care.
- Content and frequency of the program are adjusted as the
patients condition or status warrants.
- Coordinates treatments with interdisciplinary services as
- Patient documentation is thorough and timely, enhancing
communication and ensuring completion of Medical Record.
- In accordance with policy, efficiently completes initial
evaluation, progress notes, discharge summary and patient progress
- Documentation accurately reflects services provided, patient
response and progress.
- Update physician both verbally and in writing as to the
progress of the patient prior to discharge or the next physician
- Follows criteria for quality documentation as outlined by
guidelines including all requirements (surgeries, signatures,
- Provides patient education to facilitate patient
- Education is evidenced by either documentation, written handout
or direct observation.
- When possible, patient will convey understanding of key
principles, precautions and instructions by demonstration.
- Utilizes the services of interpreters, child-life specialists,
etc to assist with instruction as needed or requested.
- Patient billing is appropriate and accurately reflects the
services provided for each therapy session to reflect accurate
billing of services.
- Responsible for identifying appropriate charges based on
- Participates in the clinical instruction of students to
facilitate their education and promote the profession and
- Provides supervision and guidance appropriate for each student,
to ensure appropriate evaluation and treatment of patients as well
as educational outcome of the student.
- Complies with school/department requirements for
- Assists with program development, including department
programs, when indicated to assist with the development of
marketing strategies and provide input to the coordinators of these
- Attends meetings and fosters excellence by demonstration of
current knowledge base and participation with program development
to achieve goals.
- Participates in community education through speaking
engagements, covering health fairs or other events as needed.
- Develops physician and staff relationships.
- Participates and assists with marketing strategies as
- Demonstrates commitment to personal growth and clinical
- Presents a staff in-service program within 1 month of
attendance of continuing education course, professional workshop or
- Attends all mandatory in-services, department meetings
(whenever possible), and required continuing education courses per
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the patient,
to ensure understanding and comfort level of Treatment, as outlined
in the department "Population Specific Competency Checklist".
- Standard as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates responsibility with all job related duties.
- Takes accountability to cover all assigned shifts.
- Consistently clocks in and out at appropriate times correctly
- Accepts responsibility for actions and consequences.
- Attitude and communication approach reflects the core values of
the Rehab department.
- Listens carefully, checks on understanding before responding
and accepts and offers feedback.
- Proactively seeks solutions to challenges within the work
- Adapts, without difficulty, to changes in assignment and
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Speech Language Path Options I, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!