Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge. We offer competitive pay, excellent
benefits and a great work environment where all employees are
valued! Most importantly, our employees are part of a team that
makes a real difference in the communities we live and work in.
Responsible for improving patient access and health system
utilization by scheduling patients across multiple access points.
Assist patients in navigating the system when searching for care
and appropriately match patients to providers, better aligning
patient demand with provider availability all while driving patient
and provider satisfaction.
Essential Job Functions
Facilitates access to Methodist Hospital services including program
referrals and information by use of a computer based scheduling
system or telephonic communication to meet the customer's needs.
Utilizes decision based tools to facilitate securing the right
appointment with the right medical provider or team.
- Develops understanding of complex patient scheduling needs to
facilitate information collection from patients and families and
appropriate visit scheduling that meets individual needs.
- Maintains competence in use of scheduling and web
- Appointments are made appropriately and correctly, including
right patient, to right provider, right amount of time, right type
of visit, right information, and using the right process.
- Required insurance information is obtained and loaded or
verified for each appointment scheduled.
- Required tasks and fields in pre-registration are accurately
completed. Serves as a liaison between physicians, physician's
office staff, and the hospital by coordinating resource appointment
scheduling for patient satisfaction Assists in the coordination of
care across the health system by providing an expanded view
availability to improve access and appointment scheduling. This
will improve the patients experience and understanding as they move
through the care continuum.
- Hospital discharge - assists care teams in scheduling
post-hospital follow-up visits with Methodist Physicians Clinic
when applicable (i.e. internal medicine, primary care, cardiology,
- Emergency Department - assists care team in scheduling
follow-up care to Methodist Physicians Clinic when applicable to
prevent unnecessary Emergency Department (ED) utilization.
- Primary Care & Specialist - assists care teams in scheduling
referral appointments, when applicable, improving the patients
experience as they move through the health system. Patients will
leave a Methodist Physicians Clinic with a clear understand of
where they are going and who they will be seeing.
- Access scheduling - schedules diagnostic exams once order is
received from the providers office. Educates the patients with a
clear understanding of where they are going and prep information to
ensure the test can be complete the day it is scheduled. Provides
exceptional customer service while assisting patients obtaining
access to Medical Services at the health system.
- Maintains positive attitude when speaking with patients and
internal and external care teams.
- Callers are greeted pleasantly and courteously; answers
telephone with a greeting and self-identification.
- Effectively and appropriately represents the Health System to
internal and external staff and/or patients.
- Optimizes listening skills to best address patient requests and
- Demonstrates ownership of own role in the patient/family
- Tasks are prioritized to meet patient needs promptly.
- Describes the impact of own performance in patient
- Maintains accountability of performance by monitoring
dashboards. Accurately registers patients in a courteous and timely
- Promote positive impression and welcoming environment through
excellent customer service.
- Registers patients in the electronic registration system in a
courteous and timely manner, collecting appropriate demographic
- Makes sure all patent information (insurance, PCP, phone
numbers) are accurate.
- Demonstrate good communication style and interpersonal
communication skills with patients/families.
- Maintains safe, clean and neat work environment. Performs,
verifies and completes insurance verification for healthcare
services as needed.
- Reviews insurance information for each patient at the time of
scheduling and enters into computer.
- Obtains complete and accurate payer information and over the
phone and enters the information into computer. (ID, Health
Insurance card, etc.)
- Verifies eligibility of coverage with Experian or payer
websites or via telephone.
- Reviews Experian worklist daily for any errors regarding
patient check-in information, insurance messages and fixes then in
a timely manner.
- Uses open ended interviewing techniques to obtain accurate
insurance information from the patient. Provides support to
value-based care initiatives through proactive quality care gap
closure abstracting data to determine if patients need to be
scheduled for future appointments.
Communicates appropriately using effective interpersonal skills.
Serves, manages and supports internal and external customers.
- Positive, professional demeanor is projected through verbal and
- Information for patients and staff is delivered in a manner
that is supportive, timely and understandable.
- Diverse perspective are acknowledge; language and behaviors are
modeled that build inclusiveness in the work environment.
- Ideas and suggestions are clearly communicated.
- Clarification of communication is required when
- Patient privacy is maintained at all times.
- Actions are taken to meet or exceed patient/co-worker
expectations in delivering services.
- Appropriate resources throughout the organization are
referenced and used consistently to meet patient needs.
- Relationships with staff in other work areas are fostered to
meet internal and external patient needs. Maintains team work,
positive mentoring and willingly assists with training of employees
by positively assisting with the implementation of new procedures
and job functions to enhance Access Center services.
- Positive working relationships with peers, management, and
patients are maintained at all times.
1:30pm - 10pm
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.)
- Post-secondary education/training in healthcare (e.g., CMA/CNA,
Phlebotomist, etc.), or business operations preferred.Experience
- Minimum of 2-5 years in health care scheduling, insurance,
registration and/or customer service experience required.
- Previous experience with Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPPA) compliance/confidentiality protocols or
completion of HIPPA training within 6 months of hire required.
- Prior registration and insurance experience required.
- Previous prior authorization experience
- Knowledge of healthcare billing and third party payer
- Knowledge of the healthcare care continuum and the process of
the scheduling appointments.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong telephone skills for positive interaction with staff and
customers over the telephone.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to retain calm in stressful situations.
- Able to navigate Microsoft windows and applications and input
data accurately and relevant work.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with
coworkers, medical provider staff and among team members.
- Ability to identify opportunities and commit to the continuous
improvement of services.
- Skill in maximizing customer service and satisfaction. Physical
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force.Physical
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Seeing/VisualJob Hazards
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex) . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Access Scheduler, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...