Patient Access Professional I - Part Time - Nights
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?At Nebraska
Methodist Health System, we focus on providing exceptional care to
the communities we serve and people we employ. We call it The
Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will continue to set us
apart. It's helping families grow by making each delivery special,
conveying a difficult diagnosis with a compassionate touch, going
above and beyond for a patient's needs, or giving a high five when
a patient beats a disease or conquers a personal health challenge.
We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a great work
environment where all employees are valued! Most importantly, our
employees are part of a team that makes a real difference in the
communities we live and work in.Job Summary:Work Schedule: 10:30pm
Registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and timely manner.
Creates accurate patient records during the registration process
through verification of patient demographics, financial, and visit
information. Electronically verifies payer source/eligibility,
patient financial responsibility, and performs point of service
collections, as appropriate. Makes referrals to financial
counselor, as appropriate. Ensures a high level of customer service
accordance to the mission and vision of the organization. The
Patient Access Professional follows EMTALA guidelines when
registering patients in the Emergency Department.Responsibilities:
Essential Functions Greets patients professionally and utilizes
triage guidelines to alert clinical team members of urgent
- Follows EMTALA guidelines when registering in the Emergency
- Follows Code Triage Process as defined by the clinical
- Effectively deals with anxious and agitated people in a calm,
- Verbally de-escalates patients and/or family/friends upset with
situation/services/requests.Performs registration and insurance
verification accurately and in a timely manner, ensuring all
demographic and payer information is correct in accordance with
policies and procedures.
- Follows EMTALA guidelines when registering in the Emergency
- Collects patient identification information to create a "quick
- Notifies triage clinical team member of patient arrival and
- Following EMTALA guidelines, collaborates with the clinical
team to identify the appropriate time when the patient condition
has stabilized to proceed to the patient bedside to complete the
- Collects and updates patient demographic information and photo
IDs in the electronic registration record. Goes to the patient
bedside if needed to complete the registration process.
- Verifies insurance eligibility using electronic work queues and
updates the electronic registration record and scans insurance
cards into registration record.
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer questionnaire and other
payer specific documents as required.
- Reviews and signs admission paperwork with patient/patient
- Utilizes the translation services, as needed, to ensure
accurate data collection.
- Gives patients/representatives copies of all signed documents
as appropriate. Advises patient of financial responsibility in a
respectful and courteous manner and performs point of service
collections according to policy.
- Communicates patient financial responsibility.
- Reviews patient financial estimates and liability waivers, as
appropriate and adds completed documents to the patient
registration record. Gives patient/representative a copy of the
financial liability document(s).
- Attempts collection of co-pays or other patient financial
responsibilities on all encounters as appropriate. Documents
collection attempts and reason collection attempt failed. Meets or
exceeds POS Collection goals.
- Processes and manages payments/collections appropriately and
securely in accordance with policy. Notifies supervisor of any cash
discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Refers patients to the Patient Financial Counselors, as
appropriate and upon request.Schedule:10:30pm to 6:30amJob
Description: Job Requirements Education
- Requires high school diploma, General Educational Development
(G.E.D.) or equivalent.Experience
- Previous health care registration, customer service, insurance
or billing experience required.
- Medical terminology preferred.License/Certifications
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus
locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- American Heart Associate or American Red Cross Basic Life
Support (BLS) preferred.Skills/Knowledge/Abilities
- Requires the knowledge of phone etiquette, and understanding of
some medical terminology.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Ability to open and navigate Outlook, attachments in Word and
Excel, and utilize a scanner and copier.
- Requires the skills in basic mathematics to support collections
of payments: including addition, subtraction, multiplication and
- Requires the ability to work independently, and to collect data
from patients that is required for entry into the system.
- Requires the ability to multitask, with strong attention to
details of registration process.
- Requires the ability to relate to patients in a kind, courteous
and helpful manner.
- Requires the ability to relate to fellow workers, in all
departments of hospital, and deal with people in a crisis
- Ability to transport/escort patients, and guests/family members
to appropriate locations via stairs, elevators or ramps.
- Ability to communicate with others through a glass
barrier.Physical RequirementsWeight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.Physical
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Seeing/VisualJob Hazards
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment) About
Methodist: Nebraska Methodist Health System is made up of four
hospitals in Nebraska and southwest Iowa, more than 30 clinic
locations, a nursing and allied health college, and a medical
supply distributorship and central laundry facility. From the day
Methodist Hospital was chartered in 1891, service to our
communities has been a top priority. Financial assistance, health
education, outreach to our diverse communities and populations, and
other community benefit activities have always been central to our
mission.Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
any other classification protected by Federal, state or local
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Patient Access Professional I - Part Time - Nights, Other , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...