Telemetry Monitoring Technician
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: May 15, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Provide continuous monitoring and analysis of patient cardiac
rhythms for the purpose of reporting to medical staff. Perform EKGs
and apply event/holter monitors as necessary.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.)
- Completion of science/medical related classes preferred.
- Basic understanding of cardiac rhythms preferred but not
- Completion of cardiac rhythm interpretation class and station
competency test upon hire or within 90 days of hire required.
- Prior science/medical related experience preferred but not
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
strongly preferred at time of hire, required within 3 months of
- Ability to read, write, and perform mathematical
- Ability to perform physical measurements.
- Must have good communication and documentation skills.
- Ability to orient/train others in work procedures and
- Knowledge of telemetry applications and equipment.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Cardiac Rhythms and Vital Signs
- Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac rhythms outlines in
departmental competency requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of vital signs outlined in departmental
- Displays the ability to prioritize cardiac arrhythmias and
vital signs based on severity.
- Policy and Procedure
- Demonstrates knowledge of department policies and
- Demonstrates the ability to follow department policies and
- Patient Safety
- Monitors patients continuously and report changes as
- Ensures patient rhythms are easily visible on the work
- Verifies ST setup is accurate and ST alarms are
- Refrains from using electronic devices such as cell phones,
- Accurately enters patient information.
- Frequently checks patient status when telemetry leads are off
or having procedure.
- Alarm Management
- Ensures station alarm settings are appropriate for each
- Obtains guidelines from nursing before making changes to alarm
- Validates all alarms.
- Cleans out alarm history, keeping all relevant alarms.
- Documents all relevant communication on the communication
- Keeps patient/nurse assignment sheet up to date and easily
accessible at work station.
- Documents patient guidelines from nursing where they can be
easily seen by coworkers.
- Labels rhythm strips appropriately.
- Transfers all relevant rhythm strips into the patient
- Documents changes in rhythm status on patient log.
- Notifies RN about rhythm changes and events in accordance with
- Notifies appropriate staff about leads off, loss of signal, or
- Communicates to coworkers all relevant information in report
during station hand-off.
- Sends all-page email when low on Telemetry boxes as per
- Keeps coworkers informed about important patient issues on
- Maintains Work Environment
- Keeps work area clean and organized.
- Cleans equipment when necessary.
- Performs equipment inventory daily.
- Reports equipment issues to Biomed and supervisor.
- Performs self-scheduling in accordance with scheduling
- Willingness to provide coverage and be flexible when
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs EKGs when necessary.
- Applies Event Monitors to patients as needed.
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Telemetry Monitoring Technician, Professions , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!