Biomedical Technician I/II/III - All Levels Available **$5,000 Sign-On Bonus**
Company: Methodist Health System
Location: Council Bluffs
Posted on: August 3, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- The Senior Biomedical Tech works under minimal supervision to
independently perform a variety of journey-level work including
coordinating all phases of equipment maintenance and new equipment
installations of medical equipment involved in the treatment, care
diagnosis and monitoring of patients. Takes a lead role in the
inspection, installation and ongoing service of assigned medical
equipment and medical systems. Is able to support complex hardware
and software medical systems including anesthesia systems, ECG
systems, electrosurgical units, fetal monitors, lasers and
ventilators. May also be responsible for the support of complex
non-medical systems such as nurse call system and other
non-biomedical equipment. Utilizes extensive knowledge of
manufacturer's manuals, troubleshooting techniques and preventive
maintenance schedules to repair, calibrate and maintain medical
equipment. Has a working knowledge of the networking and operating
systems that are used in both specialized medical systems and the
NMHS network infrastructure in general. Provides direction, support
and mentoring to Biomedical Technical personnel. Works closely with
clinical departments to conduct pre-purchase evaluations of
equipment and advises on appropriate purchases.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D)
- Associates degree preferred with a concentration in
electronics, biomed electronics and or radiology electronics
preferred. Equivalent years of experience in biomed may be
considered in lieu of education.
- 2 - 3 years previous experience working with BioMedical or
other electronic equipment required.
- Certified Biomedical Electronic Technician (CBET through AAMI)
- Certification by original equipment manufacturers, such as
anesthesia equipment, heart/lung machines, lasers, patient
monitoring systems, and patient ventilators, nurse call systems, to
repair medical equipment required.
- Documented Vendor Service Training Certificates on various
types of medical equipment required.
- Valid and current driver's license required.
- Provides direction and information on biomedical electronics
repair and maintenance to Biomedical Technician staff.
- Coordinates all phases of biomedical electronic equipment
maintenance; writes and updates preventative maintenance procedures
- Installs new biomedical electronic equipment and systems
assigned according to schedule; troubleshoots, repairs and sends to
outside service site for repair any equipment found to be
defective; modifies equipment to meet customer needs.
- Maintains, administers and updates specialized hardware and
software systems and maintains accurate project- related
- Serves as a special project leader on NMHS wide projects in
order to ensure that medical equipment system implementation is
effective; trains clinical staff in the proper operation of medical
equipment systems; provides support to clinical staff to
- Works closely with clinical departments to conduct pre-purchase
evaluations of equipment and advises on appropriate purchases.
- Provides ongoing support to staff to minimize equipment down
time and reduce user errors.
- Safety tests equipment and Medical Center's structural
environment to ensure patient and staff safety from electrical and
- Evaluates electronic equipment maintenance history and
recommends service options to provide the most cost effective
solutions while maintaining the required quality, safety, and
minimum amount of equipment down time.
- Attends training classes to expand and maintain a high
proficiency level on assigned equipment and systems; advances work
knowledge by participating in continuing education in-services,
reading periodicals/literature and seeking ongoing development
- Demonstrates and explains correct operation of specified
electronic equipment to medical personnel; communicates knowledge
of equipment and systems as requested by coworkers and
- Complies with established safety policies and procedures at all
times; informs appropriate personnel of any detected safety
- Enters restricted access areas, without supervision, to perform
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Rare (1-33%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Performs repair, testing, and operational verification of
patient related medical equipment according to manufacturer
specifications to ensure equipment is available for patient care,
including the need to lift or move equipment, climb ladders to
access, always following safe work practices.
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment by conducting
maintenance testing within established timeframes to ensure patient
equipment properly functions to support diagnostic and treatment
- Responds to service calls promptly and courteously according to
departmental policies and procedures to minimize patient care
- Communicates status of repairs to customers, and supervisor as
appropriate, to ensure customer is notified about any potential
impact to patient treatment.
- Utilizes tools and test equipment on a daily basis needed for
the repair and verification of proper operation of equipment.
- Requisitions parts and supplies, prioritizing as needed, from
approved vendors to maximize equipment availability.
- Interacts and coordinates with vendors on repairs, maintenance,
and installation of equipment to ensure the vendors follow hospital
guidelines while on Health System property.
- Assists supervisor in follow-up on regulatory issue, vendor
recall/alerts activities, through helping in the verification
process required for such activities.
- Records daily work activity by entering work into the
computerized work order system to ensure an accurate reporting of
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Behavior and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Council Bluffs , Biomedical Technician I/II/III - All Levels Available **$5,000 Sign-On Bonus**, Professions , Council Bluffs, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!